Sunday, July 10, 2011

Travel, a lesson in the value of nothing

Its been some time since I've made an entry. Thanks to those who've waited it out. I have been so busy I don't know which end has been up; I think both ends have been up because I haven't had much rest.
My daughter's stay, with my grandbaby has ended here; her husband's arrival from Afghanistan was long awaited. Finally, on June 27 we welcomed him home.
First, we packed her whole house up and moved the contents into my garage to be stored. United picked it up to deliver it to Colorado. We drove with the baby from FL to CO on I-10. The drive sucked. It wasn't the length of time or the baby's fussiness; it was the total lack of scenery. Laugh or doubt if you choose to discard my experience but I'm telling you there is absolutely nothing to see AT ALL. Okay, the sky was always there but one can be saturated with blue to the point that even that seems like nothing. The scape was flat and on both sides you could see clear to the horizon, no tree nor a structure to block it. Horrid. yes, we drove through Louisiana and saw nothing but the swamp of the Bayou and tractor trailors for 1000 miles. This nothingness did'nt end with our ride.
When we arrived at my daughter's new place, which she had signed a lease to sight unseen (although she did send a friend to check it out) it was really nice. It is a spacious, 3 floor townhome, with gorgeous views from all windows, and has lots of storage. Yet, United had not arrived and it was empty; completely empty. Not a chair, not a bed, you get it.  We slept on the floor, too tired to go to a grocery store, the baby had his food so we collapsed when he got tired. Let me tell you that my 57 yr old frame punished me harshly for trying to camp like an 8 yr old. Whoa, nelly. It was painful.
It was day three before an air mattress was purchased. I thanked God in heaven--literally- for it.
Five days went by and we decided to treat ourselves and have a sandwich at a local Tea Room. As we walked inside we saw overstuffed couches and couldn't walk quickly enough to claim ours. As I sank into the soft caress of that couch- I thanked God again to allow me such comfort.
When we returned to her place, still unfurnished, I looked out the window and gazed at the Shrine of the Sun perched on the mountain where NORAD also is...The phone rang. It was the mover. He said they'd be delivering in 2 days. I then thought about her husband returning home to a fully furnished/ comfortable home that looked like it was never empty. Yet, I thought, emptiness is a gift. I'm glad I experienced the empty landscape of our journey and the hard floor and empty refrigerator. It has made having any comfort and all the beauty in the world all the sweeter! Gratitude comes from nothing, emptiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meditation Door-hanger

Meditation Door-hanger

Making handpainted, jewelry

Making handpainted, jewelry
resin pour over all.

State Forest, Pittsfield, MA

State Forest, Pittsfield, MA
Me, standing there, in my meditation image.

Tick tock

Tick tock
"Time flys, catches fire, and sinks." p. malafronte (2010)

My Blog List

All Art and text entries are the registered works of Pam Malafronte. Do not copy, distribute, or use any text or art on this blog without expressed permission.































































































































3 of 10 paintings exhibiting at Starbucks

3 of 10 paintings exhibiting at Starbucks

Peaceful Buddha

Peaceful Buddha
Be compassionate toward yourself

Start a true Rebirth on Earth

Start a true Rebirth on Earth
SOLD 8/13/11

Birds of What Feather?

Birds of What Feather?
Not Available

Time is KING---SOLD

Time is KING---SOLD
Longevity and Joy within

In Kinder Garden

In Kinder Garden
Cloth Paper Scissors magazine

ClothPaperScissors, My Art for their Readers Challenge

ClothPaperScissors, My Art for their Readers Challenge
Kinder-Garden