Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Gratitude and Humor

My dear brother-in law is living with me and my husband. An accident left him physically limited and subject to his hip popping out of its socket (OUCH); which leads to needing anesthesia to knock him out to pop it back in place.  He can't bend at all, he uses a cane and wears an uncomfortable, unattractive brace that he hates, but needs. We tease him that twirls his cane nervously, tell him he looks like a transformer or Joe Namath in the old days because of his brace! One morning, we were talking and he expressed how horrible he feels because he "puts us out" to serve his needs until his surgery which we hope will resolve this for him. I reminded him that unless we die quickly, by accident, or in our sleep all of us will be in his place, needing someone to assist us.  Already knowing the answer I would get, I asked, "You'd help us if the situation were reversed, wouldn't you?"  Then I started to think about how we really need the help of others every day of our lives and we easily accept it, sometimes thinking nothing of the efforts someone "puts out" for us ( something as simple as pouring your coffee or taking out the garbage). Being unable to reciprocate is the thing that changes when someone is injured and has to ask and receive from others all the time. I think this is why it is so difficult for them to accept help in their situation. I thought about how we need to tell others that we know what they have done and would do for us; then they feel a bit of relief.  Rememering our good humor lifts spirits too, its a way to get through, and we shouldn't forget to use it.

3 comments:

  1. You're the most incredible mother and friend. I want you to know that I truly appreciate all of the help you lend to me day to day, whether it's kind words, help with my son,a really good laugh-until our faces and stomachs hurt moment, or running a simple errand for me to take make my to-do list minus one. For all you do, thank you and all my love. Keep writing, I thoroughly enjoy this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Thanks. My children are everything and helping you in any way helps ME more than you know! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. ....and our belly laughs are a completely healing and healthy benefit of enjoying each other's company!!!

    ReplyDelete

Meditation Door-hanger

Meditation Door-hanger

Making handpainted, jewelry

Making handpainted, jewelry
resin pour over all.

State Forest, Pittsfield, MA

State Forest, Pittsfield, MA
Me, standing there, in my meditation image.

Tick tock

Tick tock
"Time flys, catches fire, and sinks." p. malafronte (2010)

My Blog List

All Art and text entries are the registered works of Pam Malafronte. Do not copy, distribute, or use any text or art on this blog without expressed permission.































































































































3 of 10 paintings exhibiting at Starbucks

3 of 10 paintings exhibiting at Starbucks

Peaceful Buddha

Peaceful Buddha
Be compassionate toward yourself

Start a true Rebirth on Earth

Start a true Rebirth on Earth
SOLD 8/13/11

Birds of What Feather?

Birds of What Feather?
Not Available

Time is KING---SOLD

Time is KING---SOLD
Longevity and Joy within

In Kinder Garden

In Kinder Garden
Cloth Paper Scissors magazine

ClothPaperScissors, My Art for their Readers Challenge

ClothPaperScissors, My Art for their Readers Challenge
Kinder-Garden